- Strengthening the EU's social dimension and ensuring support for workers and job seekers.
- Developing an action plan to implement the European Pillar of Social Rights, in full respect of the subsidiarity principle, and promoting dialogue with social partners.
- Developing a legal instrument to ensure workers in the EU have a fair minimum wage.
- Closely observing EU laws to ensure dignified, transparent and predictable working conditions and looking at ways to improve the labour conditions of platform workers.
- Helping to design a European Unemployment Benefit Reinsurance Scheme and supporting the European Labour Authority.
- Developing a European Social Fund+ to improve job creation, productivity and mobility.
- Working with Member States to strengthen social protection systems in Europe.
- Reinforcing the Youth Guarantee and developing a European Child Guarantee to fight poverty and secure children’s access to basic services.
- Developing a European Action Plan for Social Economy to enhance social innovation.
- Leading the Commission’s work on implementing and updating skills agenda, focusing on filling skills shortages and reskilling.
European Parliament hearings
Nicolas Schmit's team helps him in his daily work
As part of the Commission’s commitment to transparency, Commissioners and their members of Cabinet publish information on meetings held with organisations or self-employed individuals.
- Meetings with Commissioner Schmit
- Meetings with the Commissioner’s Cabinet
- Missions of Commissioner Schmit
In line with the Commission's Code of Conduct for Members of the Commission, each Commissioner publishes a Declaration of Interests.
A signed, authentic version is published at the bottom of this page.
A machine-readable version of all Declarations is also published. This is in line with the requirements of the Code of Conduct.
The Declarations of Interests follow the requirements set out in Article 3 and in Annex 1 of the new Code of Conduct for Commissioners.
- 2019 - presentEuropean Commissioner for Jobs and Social Rights
- 2019Member of the European Parliament
- 2013 - 2018Minister for Labour, Employment and the Social and Solidarity Economy, Luxembourg
- 2009 - 2013Minister for Labour, Employment and Immigration, Luxembourg
- 2004 - 2009Minister Delegate for Foreign Affairs and Immigration
- 1998 - 2004Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Luxembourg to the EU
- 1991 - 2004Member of the Council of State, Luxembourg